Translate to Spanish

Friday, April 17, 2015

Letter #30

April 6, 2015

Elder Miles at the Quetzaltenango Temple
 What does aldea mean?  It means that I am out of the city and at times in the middle of nowhere.  It's usually towns of 50 people or less and lots of walking in the mountains.  I am in an aldea of Huehuetenango.  The people just say Huehue.  I am in the town of Malacatancito or more commonly known as Malacas.  Its super awesome!  

This week was Semana Santa and there are so many Catholics in the town that they did a huge reenactment of the capture and crucifixion of the Savior over the days of Thursday to Sunday.  There were people dressed up like Roman guards walking around in the night looking for Jesus!  Other then some interesting events the people here in Malacas are super nice. This town is a little more friendly than Xela and more educated than Chirijox.  The house we live in is the best one that I have had.  

The rama (branch) has an attendance of like 20 or 30 people.  The church here is a house.  We are going to pushing and hoping to get a chapel built out here.  We are opening the area again after a long time of not having any missionaries.  The rama seems super excited to work with us right now.  They see the need for missionaries and I received more references form this rama in the last 4 days than I received in Xela in the course of 3 weeks.  The members are tight too.  I am going to be eating lunch with one of the members everyday and we have a lady who is going to wash our clothes. (we pay for all of that but.. ehh).  Malacas is kind of one of the bigger towns and the rest are super far out.  We are going to be walking 3 hrs to get to some of our visits.  It should be really cool.  There is sadly no Kiche here.  I know far more Kiche than the people here :(  I was ready to get learning Kiche again... but oh well.  The people have also been super receptive.  Just about every person that we have talked to has been good with putting a return visit or letting us teach them right there.  It's warmer climate here so I am just betting that thats the difference.  We are more up by mexico.

My comp is my first comp form Guatemala.  He is form the capital.  My fifth comp in my third area.  The dude is pretty chill and he is really good with the people. He is kinda flech because he just got taken down as zone leader to be with me opening this area. (by the way I lost my wallet on the bus ride down so that was cool.  Just 100 quetz.  I didnt lose anything serious)  But he has been a cool cat.  His name is Elder Aguirre. He is 21 and he has 21 monthes.  That's to say that I will most likely be killing him here (sending him home) in Malacas.  Good stuff.  First my trainer and now this guy.  We have been getting along well and I am just trying to learn all that I can from him.

Just bought a wallet.  Its super fake brand but it seems like pretty good quality for being a fake and its way cheaper than what the real stuff is.  I just want to find a fake Rolex before I get back to the states though.

So the week passed by fast and the work is progressing.  I just kinda wish I could be teaching my converts in my last area.

Dad, Thats so great that you have made time to go around fixing so much stuf fin the house that we have broken!  I probably wont be able to pay you so I hope God does.

Dad & Mom, Love you

Jay love you.  

Jen love you

Jon love you

Love, Elder Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment