Translate to Spanish

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Letter #4 CCM (MTC)


This week at the CCM (MTC)

My companion and I have some new roommates.  They are true Latinos.  They speak practically no English.  This just so happens to be really good for my spanish.  I get to talk to them for about 45 minutes every night before we go to bed.  One is from Guatemala City.  Another is from El Salvador and  the third is form Costa Rica.  They are all really cool to talk to.  It has been weird finding that we all think in just about the same way and think the same things are funny even though we speak completely different languages and were brought up in different countries.  

This week I have gotten the objective and the first vision down pat in Spanish.  I have also been trying to memorize a few other scriptures.  There is not much time to just do stuff like that here.  Especially when I have to study study study.  It is pretty easy to focus here and everything is coming to me really quickly.  The first time that McLain and I taught a lesson we were allowed to do it in English.  The teachers said that we taught like good missionaries out in the field.  Now that we do all of our lessons off of memorized Spanish we have no such luck.  It is weird being limited to certain tenses and a small vocab.  It is going to be such a great time when I can just articulate everything that I want to say without even thinking in English.  My goal is to be fluent in spanish before the four month mark in the field.  I will continue to just work and work and pray and work until I have all of the language that God wants me to have.

One of the biggest things that I have learned this week is that I and supposed to feel incompetent here.  The CCM watched a video in which President Bednar explained how if we really understood that we truly represented Christ than we would be just completely overwhelmed.  That has kinda helped me to just drop some stress and be a little happier here in the CCM.  I also have been learning what it takes to really be able to teach with the spirit.  I just have to serve.  Just work and serve as hard as I possible can and the rest will come.

The food here has been tasting pretty bland lately.  I eat every meal but it is all just starting to taste the same.  It has mostly been American food as well, which has been kind of a bummer.  Today I had my best meal yet though.  We just had some beef and chicken tacos.  The good part about the meal was the salsa.  They almost never have any spicy food in this place.  I LOVE spice and so this has been kinda wierd.

I play basketball here every day and I think that I am picking it up pretty well.  I am the tallest person in the CCM out of about 150 guys so that helps quite a bit haha.  Just stand by the hoop and post up basically.  

I just got my super cool hand made burned leather scripture cases today.  I'm so psyched about them.  It has a picture of Jesus being baptized on the front and Joseph Smith reading James 1:5 on the back.  All hand drawn and burned into the leather.  I have heard that there will be more cool nic nacs over in my actual mission.  The book case is soo cool though! It feels like a spell tome or something haha.

Well I don't know what else to say so I guess I'll just bear my testimony.  Basically, I know that Jesus loves us more than ever and I've only been here for 3 three weeks.  I don't even think I could imagine how much love I will be able to feel from him within the next 2 years. I am so stoked! Christ lives and he is the Savior and Redeemer of the world.  He loves us and wants us to be happy.  All we have to do is keep the commandments that we were given and we can really know our brother.

I love you fam!

Elder Josh Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment