Translate to Spanish

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Letter #5 CCM (1 month)




CCM District - Elder Miles & Comp. Elder McLain the far right
So this week was exactly the same as the others pretty much.  Get up early with my comp and study before breakfast everyday.  Eat basically the same tasting food every day and learn the same things.  The fruit has been getting less and less impressive.  I'm starting to see through my CCM excitement and view this place with a little more realistic perspective.  With this in mind, I don't think that I have loved this place more than I do right now! The schedule is tough, the curriculum does not make chronological sense, and the Spanish is getting pretty tough to keep up with.  We didn't learn much Spanish in our first two weeks and now we are going over 1-3 new conjugations every day.  I hope that It slows down a bit so that I can hammer some of this down into my head.  

Guatemala City Temple
I'm liking my companion quite a bit.  I think that we make a good team when it comes to teaching.  I need to say a little more during some of the lessons but other than that we are pretty much on par with each other.  He has been reading through the Book of Mormon and I have been really getting into the New Testament.  I like reading directly about the Saviors ministry sometimes.  Don't worry I study the Book of Mormon most of the day along with my Spanish.  There are so many things that I didn't realize were actually in it!! It really does have all that man needs to know about God in that one book!

going to the market
I was able to walk down to another market sort of thing today.  It was a 5 minute walk and we were only able to go to two stores.  One of them was rather large and was basically just a hardware store with some odds and ends thrown in.  I bought a thing of bleach for 7 quetzales and told my district that it was for all of us to share.  The container was super super cheap for how big it was.  Everything here in the city is really just about the same price as it is in the states.  I have heard that just about everything will cost less in Xela.  For this reason I am really only trying to buy things that I will absolutely need in my stay here.  I have no clue what kind of situation my actual mission will be.  Anything from city living to deep jungle mountains.

I talked to a guy who works at the CCM who went to Xela on his mission.  He said that it is like here only a little colder and dryer.  I am going to love the weather.  Sweater weather for a while and then it won't ever get above 80.  He also said that during the coldest nights during the winter it will get ALL the way down to 40 degrees.  Basically perfect weather to sleep in.  He said that he did not have any much issue with bed bugs and mosquitos, spiders, snakes, and the scorpions were pretty mild.  He did say that the fleas were about to become my best friend, ahha!  I have no clue what that could mean? I'll soon find out I guess.  As long as I get that machete and am able to tromp through the jungle I will be fine:)  He also said that during the dry season you can look off of the mountain and see absolutely everything.  Volcanoes mountains and lush jungle.  But the jungle shouldn't be so lush that it is much of a hinderance.  

I've been memorizing and practicing how to begin teaching, and memorizing a few scriptures.  D y C 20:37 being one of the scriptures that I need to memorize.

The kids who had been here for their full program have left this place today.  About 45 latinos and 30 gringos in all I think.  The place feels kinda empty.  I will be one of the big old kids now.  It will be weird looking like the king of the roost in this place.  Especially since I only really have learned how to survive the CCM.  I can hardly even understand and talk to the custodians when they say "como esta?" It is weird how the language just totally changes when real people are speaking it.  I don't feel scared at all about going into the field.  I guess all a "greeny" really needs is to know is how to bear testimony and use the spirit. I'm pretty sure God is quite the master when it comes to something like Spanish.   2 mas semanas en aqui.  Despues salgo y enseño muchos personas ahha.  

Oh hey, can you guys send me some yoga instruction and tai chi instruction in a letter or something.  I just want to really relax during deportes time.  I am pretty much sick of basketball these days haha.  

My health is not failing just yet.  I'm feeling kind of a mild grossness but I think that this is just from the food.  Oh well!

I really don't have much else to say due to the mundane nature of the CCM.  My comp got those military boots that I was looking at online.  They are pretty sick.  It is just those ones that zip down.

The night that all the missionaries left ALL of the Elders got into one room and we sang three hymns together. "Called to serve" and few others.  We ended it with a strong prayer from a Latino Elder.  That was a really good way to send off the those who were leaving this place.

There are lots of motorcycles here but I haven't seen anything over 350 cc.  The engine size and everything else about the bikes here are really small.  I probably couldn't ever ride any of these little cyclos.  

I love you guys and miss home.  I don't want to be home at all but I still miss it.  I wanna just hang out and watch some "Burn Notice" with you guys and use Roxy as my pillow as charlie lays on top of the air conditioned vents behind the couch.  In time, I won't even think about it guys! haha.

I am loving Jesus Christ and all the people here.  There is nothing more than I want to do other than just stay here.  I want to want to serve.  That is just what has been in my mind lately.

You will be in my prayers as will my investigators!!

Love,

Elder Josh Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment